Toby & Emma Wedding Pix

31 March 2021

Around the World - China

 Country 12 on our Lockdown World Travel was China. I had difficulty in sourcing a Chinese wine, even though China is now one the world’s major producers. I dismissed suggestions for rice-wine used in cooking. At last I found a decent Cabernet Sauvignon listed by Ocado, and I fired up the wok for a stir-fry.



Chicken stir-fried with cashew nuts and red pepper and a black bean sauce, accompanied by boiled rice and stir-fried pak choi in oyster sauce



I can’t remember if I had this exact dish in Hong Kong or while on business in Beijing, or was it in Chinese restaurants elsewhere? I know I’ve had stir-fry chicken with cashew nuts, and this my version. Raw cashew nuts are dry roasted until they turn colour, then added to stir-fried chicken and red pepper strips, and all coated in black bean sauce.


Pak choi is simply stir-fried until it wilts and starts to colour then oyster sauce is added to the wok and heated with the greens.

The wine was



2017 Château Changyu Moser XV Cabernet Sauvignon Helan Mountain (China, Ningxia)


This was a classy, assured and delicious Cab, costing £13.59 from Ocado


Country 11 was Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment