Toby & Emma Wedding Pix

16 March 2021

Around the World - Australia

 


Country 11 on our Lockdown World Travel was Australia. I had some suggestions, but I couldn’t source Barramundi; Kangaroo fillets were possible but postage was mega expensive, and I refused to serve Vegemite on Toast as dinner, so I am indebted to Joy (JayKay) on the Wine Society forum for suggesting Pie Floater and 'Winechief' for suggesting exactly what it turned out that I had.


I did not encounter Pie Floaters in the brief times I was on Oz and recipes on the web didn’t agree, except that a Pie Floater was a individual pie surrounded by green so it looks like it is floating.


Some turned the pie upside down, some crowned the pie with peas and/or gravy and/or barbecue sauce, and apart from having peas in common to supply the green colour, the ‘sea’ could be pea soup, ham and pea soup, crushed garden peas, mushy peas or a combination.


This is my Pie Floater


 

Steak and ale pie on a sea of mushy peas.


and to accompany it 



2019 Grant Burge Shiraz Benchmark (Australia, South Australia)

I had this in stock, it came in a Wine Society ‘Mystery Case’. Pleasant quaffer, and it cost just £6.


An easy meal, just requiring warming up, pie was MOO from Pieminister and the mushy peas were from a tin. But I also served some new potatoes, steamed carrot batons and pointed cabbage.


Joan loved it. I thought it a bit stodgy with mushy peas. Baked beans on the other hand … but that wouldn’t be authentic…


Country 10 was Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment