Toby & Emma Wedding Pix

12 February 2018

Lunch at Houw Hoek Farm Stall

To Houw Hoek Farm Stall again for lunch and to see if we could get some marmalade that tasted of oranges. Woolworth's best is orange in colour but could be made of anything.

Houw Hoek is on the high pass of the N2 between Gordons Bay and about 10 km from Bot Rivier.

They have a wide range of intriguing own label jams, many made of fruits I have never tasted such as wild fig. 

I always try to buy my absolute favourite Hanepoot, made from whole Muscat of Alexandria grapes (aka Hanepoot) to take home, though they quickly sell out. 

There's a huge range of chutneys and sauces, freshly baked breads, cakes and pies, local olives and olive oils and fresh fruits and vegetables.

And there's a wine shop featuring local wines at good prices. This year is the first time I have not been tempted to buy a wine as they seem to have fewer choices than previous years.

In their restaurant we both chose the starter portion of 3 Bobotie Spring Rolls, which come on a bed of tasty mixed  salad with a portion of their own Banana and Date Chutney and a sweet chilli dipping sauce.

On the table comes their scrumptious house made salad dressing. In the past I've always bought a bottle of it to take away, but now they only sell it from the shop and since the normal sized bottle was sold out I took a large one I don't expect to be able to finish during this trip.

They've recently planted a small vineyard behind and are now selling their own Chenin and Shiraz. I had a glass of the Chenin with lunch, made by Kevin Grant at nearby Ataraxia winery.

It was dark yellow and oaked, rather austere and didn'd have the Chenin freshness I like. I did wonder how long the bottle had been open.

Sign at Houw Hoek




No comments:

Post a Comment