Toby & Emma Wedding Pix

25 April 2022

Kehl for Strasbourg

 


Today the ship moored before breakfast at Kehl on the German bank of the river and we left at 08:30 and took the included tour crossing over the river to France and Strasbourg.

The heavens opened to rain torrentially but luckily we were in the coach for the worst of it. We passed the folly that is the EU parliament building, used only 12 weeks of the year when everyone decamps from Brussels for a week each month to continue their work in Strasbourg.

Under a Viking umbrella, pressed on me by the coach driver, we walked through the old town.

During free time we grabbed a coffee under s coffee shop awning.

Back at the ship we drank a pleasant Franken Sylvaner in a bocksbeutel 


but the highlight of the meal was this pear and almond tart.


Instead of returning on the shuttle busses in the afternoon to explore more of Strasbourg I walked along the river bank. Mrs M decided to stay on the boat and read.

She didn’t believe me on my return when I said I’d seen a flying saucer during my walk but I was able to show her this photo:


It had mostly stopped raining and along the path I admired this tree decorated with colourful bird-boxes.



Evening meal was Taste of Germany  which was more subdued than previous times. There was no visiting oompha band, and thus no congas between the tables. I had some slices carved from a tender marinated beef joint and got the waiter to bring  me some potatoes from the kitchen, and we had an excellent Torres Ribera del Duero.



No comments:

Post a Comment