Toby & Emma Wedding Pix

16 December 2021

Probus Christmas Lunch

 


Probus 37th Annual Christmas lunch was held at Verulam Golf Club. Some people didn't book because of Covid, and the recent rapid rise of Omicron variant  leading to a Government recommendation to scale back one's social activities led others to cancel, but we still had 65 booked.

I chose the spiced carrot and lentil soup to start with and it was really enjoyable with a bite of chilli, then I had  traditional roast turkey.



There were two thick slices of turkey, which I couldn't finish. I'd have preferred more veg, but the meal was tasty.


Christmas pud, garnished with redcurrants, with brandy sauce was well presented but ordinary,


and there were mince pies and small cakes to follow with coffee and poppers.

I was responsible for choosing and sourcing wines. 



The white was

2021 Zalze Chenin Blanc Bush Vine (South Africa, Western Cape)

Terrific: dry but not acidic, fruit and balance and it went down a treat with those present.



and the red was

2020 Domaine Camp Galhan Cévennes Les Frigouliers (France, Languedoc, Cévennes)

100% Grenache; soft fruity drinkable. Another wine that charmed those gathered. It went well with roast turkey.

A bottle of each was on  every table and I had two bottles of both as top-up tables which ran out. Same as the summer lunch, red was more popular than white.




And to cap it all, the Chairman presented me with an award for my work as Speaker Secretary and then I won the raffle.



I wasn't the only one wearing an outstanding jacket. This year John Hart joined in.


Jacqui and Alberto joined us.



Top photo,  John, presentation and Jacqui & Alberto taken by Tony Woodhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment